Today it’s 50 tomorrow it’s going to be 20 for the next few days. So it’s time to Tweak the meat chili and make it Vegan, without losing flavor.
It servings 4 people
* 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
* 1 cup chopped red onion
* 1/2 cup chopped carrot
* 3/4 cup chopped celery
* 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
* 3 cloves minced garlic
* 1 1/2 cups sliced button mushrooms
* 2 tbsp chili powder
* 1-2 teaspoon cumin
* ¼ tsp salt
* 2 cup cooked kidney beans
* 2 cup diced, drained, canned tomatoes
* 1 1/2 vegan “beef” crumbles optional
* 2 cups vegetable broth
* 2 cups water
* 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
* 1 cup + 1 tbsp cornmeal
* 2 tsp ground flax seed
* 2 ½ tbsp sugar
* 3 tbsp + ½ tsp vegetable oil
(I use canola)
* 3/4 cup unbleached flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* ¼ tsp salt
1. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add red onion, carrot, celery, green pepper and garlic. Cook until onion appears translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms, chili powder and salt. Cook until mushrooms begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Add kidney beans, tomatoes,
“beef” crumbles optional
vegetable broth, and water.Turn heat to medium and simmer for 35 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Prepare cornbread batter.
6. Divide chili between 4 oven safe bowls. Top with cornbread batter and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving
Caution ~ (bowls will still be hot!)
1. Combine soy milk, cornmeal, ground flax seed and sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour baking powder, and salt.
3. Add soy milk/cornmeal mixture to dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Baking instructions: Top chili with cornbread batter and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Microwave instructions: Top chili with cornbread batter and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.