I’m not a vegan although we now eat more plant based foods. To fight pain and inflammation. But now and then I love a good burger.
Here is a great option Vegan Messy Janes: And original Sloppy Joes.
* 1½ lbs. lean ground beef vegan version leave out beef
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 cup diced onion
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 -3cups diced eggplant (from one medium eggplant, peeled)
* 2 -3 cups finely diced crimini mushrooms (a 13 oz package)
Half of a red pepper finely chopped
Half of a jalapeño chopped
* 1/2teaspoon salt
* ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* ¼ teaspoon oregano
* 28 oz. can San Marzano crushed tomatoes
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1-2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Also sells vegan Worcestershire
Allow to simmer and reduce so it thickens. Summer for about 15-20 minutes
Serve on a kaiser or potato roll.
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the olive oil.
2. Add the onion and garlic and red pepper and half of a jalapeño and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn.
3. Add in the diced eggplant and mushrooms and cook down for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are reduced to about half.
4. Push the vegetables over to one side of the pan
and add in the ground beef if using the beef
5. Once the beef is browned, combine it with the vegetables, add the salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder and stir.
6. Pour in the tomato sauce and then add the brown sugar and worcestershire sauce.