If you have ever had a miserable case of the common cold or the flu, you know how miserable it can be.
Thankfully nature provides some remedies that can help avoid minor illnesses and or shorten the duration if you do get sick.
Black Elderberries aka (sambucus nigra) has been shown to help avoid these types of illnesses and speed recovery in those who already have them.
Elderberry Syrup to help me Avoid the Flu
prep 10 mins
cook 1 hour
yields about 4 cups
I took several herbology classes and learned so much , like how to make a simple elderberry syrup , tinctures, poultices etc… this recipe is made with dried or fresh elderberries,honey and herbs and spices for an immune boosting and delicious syrup.
I haven’t had the flu in 3 years.
Some people even use on homemade pancakes or waffles.
1 cup dried black elderberries, or 1 1/3 cups fresh or frozen
4 cups water
2 TBSP fresh or dried ginger root
1/2 teaspoon turmeric root or powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 cup raw honey
1. Pour water into medium saucepan and add elderberries, ginger, cinnamon
3. Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.
5. Allow the liquid to reduce by almost half.
6. Remove from heat and let cool until it is cool enough to be handled.
7. Mash the berries carefully using a spoon or other flat utensil.
9. Pour through a strainer into a glass mason jar
11. Discard the rest of the elderberries and let the liquid cool to lukewarm.
12. When it is no longer hot, add the honey and stir well.
14. When the honey is well mixed into the elderberry mixture, pour the syrup into a quart sized mason jar with airtight lid
15. And there you have it. Elderberry syrup
Store in the fridge and take daily for its immune boosting properties. Some sources recommend taking only during the week and not on the weekends to boost immunity.
I personally take 1 tablespoon a day. If the flu bug does get me , I take the normal dose every 4 to 5 hours instead of once a day, until my symptoms disappear.
A friend of mine told me she tried it on her pancakes and loved it 😍multipurpose .
Of course I personally use this and I would never tell you to take this or anything else. I just post things that I believe work for me.
And it’s a great Syrup with extra benefits.
*Never try anything without talking you your own primary care physician.
#Elderberry #FluFighter #Syrup #FoodIsThyMedicine #Flu # Pancakes #PancakeSyrup
This blog is for entertainment purposes only. Never intended as medical advice.