- 1¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil; plus more for pan
- 2/3 cup Swerve granular sugar substitute; plus more for sprinkling
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons amaretto see below my recipe
- 2 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest or orange zest
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 9-in spring-form pan or cake pan
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drizzle bottom and sides of pan with oil and use your fingers to coat. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper and smooth to eliminate air bubbles; coat parchment with more oil. Generously sprinkle pan with Swerve and tilt to coat in an even layer; tap out excess.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to combine and eliminate any lumps.
- Stir together amaretto, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed (use whisk attachment if working with a stand mixer), beat eggs, lemon zest, and 1 cup Swerve in a large bowl until mixture is very light, thick, pale, and falls off the whisk or beaters in a slowly dissolving ribbon, about 3 minutes if using a stand mixer and about 5 minutes if using a hand mixer.
- With mixer still on high speed, gradually stream in 1¼ cups oil and beat until incorporated and mixture is even thicker. Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with amaretto mixture in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Fold batter several times with a large rubber spatula, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of bowl. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and sprinkle with more Swerve.
- Place cake in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 350°. After about 20 minutes, cover cake with foil. Bake until top is golden brown, center is firm to the touch, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 35-45 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan 15 minutes.
- Poke holes all over top of cake with a toothpick or skewer and drizzle with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil; let it absorb. Run a thin knife around edges of cake and remove ring from pan. Slide cake onto rack and let cool completely.
How to make Amaretto with Swerve
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup Brown Swerve
- 1.5 cups vodka
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Heat water until it just starts to boil, then remove from heat.
- Using a funnel, add all ingredients to a glass bottle.
- Shake until combined.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.
Lemon Glaze Option to amaretto
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup Swerve, Confectioners
- 1 TBS milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 3 tablespoons lemon or orange juice
- zest of one lemon or orange
- mix well and drizzle over cake